Good questions make for a good interview. Below are some topics and questions to help you get a good conversation about rural life started.
Small Town Life
- What’s it like to live in a small town?
- What do you like about the place you live?
- What don’t you like about it?
- How is your community important?
- Can you think of a favorite story about living in a small town?
- What do you think of when you think of small town life?
- What do you think is the biggest difference between living in a small town and living in a more populated place?
The Urban Rural Divide
- Do you think there is an urban-rural divide?
- Where does this divide come from?
- How do you think people in urban and suburban places perceive rural places?
- Do you think their assumptions are correct?
- Have you ever experienced these assumptions?
- What assumptions do you have about people who live in cities?
- Do you think this division is important? What do you think the impacts are?
- What do you think needs to happen to lessen this divide?
Rural Life Skills
- What sorts of things did you learn growing up that are unique to rural places?
- Can you raise livestock, slaughter animals, drive a tractor, shoot a gun, garden, or another more typically rural skill set?
- Is there a story you can share about how you learned?
- Do you have interests and hobbies that relate to rural life?
- What are they? Can you tell a story about a favorite time doing one of these?